This past year, United Way of Rhode Island (UWRI) helped to return more than $23 million to working Rhode Islanders in the form of tax refunds, and the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), and saved over $4 million in tax preparation fees through its Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) initiative. The figure is the initiative’s largest local financial benefit to date, representing a return of more than one-hundred times the $210,000 invested by UWRI and Citizens Bank to fund VITA.
Now, with the new tax season quickly approaching to file 2017 returns, UWRI is preparing for the return of VITA, announcing the 23 programs statewide that will serve as 2018 tax preparation sites. Each VITA site is staffed by IRS-trained and certified volunteers who offer services in both English and Spanish. Sites will begin offering services the week of January 22, 2018, and returns are filed electronically. Appointments may be needed for some sites. Information on this and other questions can be answered by calling 2-1-1.
The goal of VITA is to ensure that working Rhode Islanders who earn $55,000 or less annually and meet the program’s eligibility requirements have access to free tax preparation services in order to receive the money they are due in tax refunds and tax credits. In particular, VITA volunteers work to ensure that individuals who are eligible access important tax credits—such as the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC)—which reduce tax burden and often lead to a larger refund.
The following represents the list of agencies statewide operating as 2018 VITA sites:
- Progreso Latino: 626 Broad Street
- Comprehensive Community Action Program: 311 Doric Avenue
- East Bay Community Action: 100 Bullocks Point Avenue
- Tri-Town North Community Action: 1126 Hartford Avenue
- Blackstone Valley Community Action: 32 Goff Avenue
- Woodlawn CDC: 210 West Avenue
- Amos House: 460 Pine Street
- Capital City Community Center: 1085 Chalkstone Avenue
- Center for Southeast Asians: 270 Elmwood Avenue
- Community Action Partnership of Providence: 518 Hartford Avenue
- Federal Hill House: 9 Courtland Street
- Genesis Center: 620 Potters Avenue
- Hope Community Center: 140 Cypress Street
- ONE Neighborhood Builders: 66 Chaffee Street
- OpenDoors RI: 485 Plainfield Street
- Providence Housing Authority: 300 Hartford Avenue
- Providence Spanish 7th Day Adventist Church: 131 Elmwood Avenue
- East Bay Community Action: 19 Broadway
- Johnnycake Center of Peace Dale: 1231 Kingstown Road
- Tri-Town South Community Action: 1935 Kingstown Road
- West Bay Community Action: 205 Buttonwoods Avenue
- WARM Center: 56 Spruce Street
- Community Care Alliance: 800 Clinton Street
- Connecting for Children and Families: 46 Hope Street
Rhode Islanders in need of additional information are asked to call 2-1-1 for assistance.