Since 2005, United Way of Rhode Island (UWRI) has been a proud partner in the statewide Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, and the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) campaign. UWRI’s funding for VITA sites is part of a comprehensive strategy to meet the immediate needs of Rhode Islanders. VITA provides free income tax preparation services to eligible Rhode Islanders who earned $55,000 or less last year. VITA sites and their volunteers are trained to ensure that eligible Rhode Islanders access available, important tax credits such as the EITC.
The EITC, the largest and most successful anti-poverty program in the country:
- Provides fully refundable tax credits for low to moderate income working people.
- Reduces the amount of tax owed, and often results in a larger tax refund.
- Helps working individuals and families to make ends meet by allowing them to keep more of their paycheck.
- United Way of Rhode Island, in partnership with Citizens Bank, invested $210,000 to support VITA sites across the state.
- This $210,000 investment enabled nearly 13,000 individuals and families to get free tax preparation services, returning over $23,000,000 directly into their pockets. $7.4 million of this was based on EITC credits.
- Over 228 trained volunteers provided free tax preparation assistance at VITA sites across the state, volunteering over 14,747 hours.
- The total amount saved on VITA tax preparation fees in 2017 was $4,329,000.
Call 2-1-1 (or 1-800-367-2700 if you’re out-of-state) now to find a VITA site near you. Want VITA help to come to you? Our 2-1-1 outreach RV will have pop-up sites across the state. Check out our events calendar for upcoming sites and dates.
Become a volunteer and share your talents as a tax preparer or site greeter.
VITA is generously supported by Citizens Bank.