Our model: learning doesn’t just happen in a classroom.
We encourage all educators to rethink how, when, and where youth learn. Summer provides a unique opportunity to incorporate hands-on learning that is both academic and fun.
Our model is simple.
- Bring together the best community-based professionals and the best school-day professionals.
- Have them co-plan and co-teach a hands-on, experiential curriculum with real-world applications.
- Teach academics in such a way that fosters social and emotional growth.
- Instill teamwork, self-discipline, and persistence, while nurturing creativity.
Building relationships is a cornerstone.
- Youth form friendships that extend into the school year, and often-times beyond.
- Community-based professionals serve the same children throughout the year, allowing them to continue support.
- Youth gain advocates in their communities and schools, while adults gain insight into the learning styles and interests of students
Hasbro Summer Learning Initiative
The Hasbro Summer Learning Initiative (HSLI) receives support from the Hasbro Children’s Fund, United Way of Rhode Island, and the State of Rhode Island. Over the years, this generosity has allowed us to significantly expand the scope of our summer learning work and reach more local youth.
|Year||Programs||Communities Served||Youth Served|
Service learning is at the core of HSLI’s curriculum; this helps youth become more aware of their communities by identifying issues and creating active solutions that ultimately lead to stronger civic engagement. Over the six-week course, students become advocates for their own learning.
Parents, find exciting learning opportunities on our afterschool and summer learning map.